Wednesday, May 21, 2008

missing zambia...


sometimes i miss zambia. i just do. we go back so far together. in fact 42 years. i was born there, my mother died there. the dusty years of my childhood. indelibly printed somewhere deep in my mind...mud in my toes and finding mushrooms in the rains...the red dust roads around lusaka and the brachystigia. the way the sky is hazy. the searing bush fires. the dry air and the blue hills - so particular -...the yellow flowers in may. the thespinia which grows inches in a day along the side of the road in mfuwe. may time when the carmine bee eaters arrive back. it's the smell. it's that little finger of cold in a crispy air and the new moon, the smell of grass and smoke in the twilight. my heart. my heart. oh i don't know. i just miss zambia sometimes. mopane wood fires. mopane and elephant moving quietly under the muchenja trees like silver ships in the night, the low rumble... and the bite of a tsetse on my ankle on the O5.


maybe its just this time of year. may. when our african seasons shift. summer ends and winter begins...we breathe between the rains and the dry season. green shifts to gold.


i miss zambia. it will pass as it always does. but it never goes away.

4 comments:

tam said...

woke early, as it was getting light, and i stepped outside into a crisp joburg morning. something about the way the light caught the top of the trees, something about the way the cool air hit my lungs... i had a stomach-punch of nostalgia and longing for a golden early morning by the river. i actually cried out, it was a physical sensation.

tam said...

oops. something got lost there. what i was trying to say was... "it never goes away! Yesterday, I woke early..."

Janelle said...

yeah i know!! it never does. so? love it you're a blogger too now...about to go and see you! miss you and long to ride a motorbike through a muchenja forest or through that cathedral mopane by the salt pans...XXX

N said...

I miss South Africa. I read everyones status updates on fb about the heat and the braai's and the sea and the sun and although I am not really a summer person, I miss the smells and sounds and familiar stuff of Africa while I sit here in Scotland.