Monday, May 4, 2009

happier days...


so my music friend died on friday night.
quite suddenly.
just like that.
37.

he's the one in the black hat on the other guitar. that guitar was my favourite one. it has a warped out of tune sweet sound. it's the one i want to burn on a pyre for him.

this isn't going to be some sort of eulogy. i'm just saying.

he was always the kind of person who liked a trip. a wild one. i guess he saw the light and thought, man, i ain't gonna miss this for anything ferrchristsakes...and lynyrd would've been there waitin',  ya know? 

we loved each other.
and at times we hated each other. 

we played foot stompingly good music together. 

he was a bi polar genius. he was either being  100% arsehole (by his own admission) or 100% charming and wildly fun. he got a kick out of always being slightly on the other side of the law. and boy did he know the rules. and the chinks in your armour. he could do your head in in a flash.

even when i hated him i always conceded he played sweet home alabama better than lynyrd skynyrd. 

the man with the scythe has brushed my shoulder a few times. i can be quite philosophical about him, really. but man, everytime he's round for collection, it blows me away. i am left immeasurably sad and stunned.

yeah. so there you are. and i'll tell you something else. getting a body from tanzania back to texas is like herding cats and some....

god speed Wesley Corbett Bishop....

19 comments:

tam said...

oh J. So sorry. Gosh its always such a cold sharp shock, isn't it? The complete otherness of death. So sorry my dear heart. Build a big fire. Crack a bottle of whisky. Thinking of you.

family affairs said...

Holy shit. 37. NOT OK. So sorry. Nightmare. Lx

Anonymous said...

He was a good mate of mine in Arusha. Lots of mad, wonderful and beautiful memories of that man. He will be terribly missed.
Maarten.

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss Corbett. I always stopped by and said hello as I was going off on safari or coming back from the bush. My last memory was from January, when we ate roasted pig out on his deck. Damn, it was good.

Mama Shujaa said...

Janelli,

Poleni sana. And what a vibrant description of him.

Hugs.

Mama Shujaa

mighty jo said...

im sorry you lost your friend. he sounded really special & like a lot of fun. im so sorry!

Jeannie said...

Ah, Janelle, I'm so sorry. What a terrible shock. I'm sure he would love what you've written about him; it brought him to life for all of us.

Janelle said...

thanks y'all. we're all so sorry, actually. what to do? xxx j

Miranda said...

xxxxxxxxx

nmj said...

So sorry for your loss, Janelle. Your friend sounds like a man who sure made an impression when he was around. What more can any of us want? x

Mud in the City said...

So sorry, that's too young and too wrong.

Sounds like he took life by the horns though.
xx

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful soul the earth has lost, I am so sorry for you and his family, sending praywes godspeed

Tessa said...

Safari njema, Wesley Corbett Bishop.

So sorry. So young. Strength to you, Janelle. xx

Lori ann said...

xoxoxo♥
lori

Lisa L said...

I am so sorry about his death.... but I have to tell you this. I got a chilled feeling when I read your post about the bird flying into your house the other day...here in Hawaii, if a bird flys inside, it is an indication that someone is going to die very soon. I wasn't about to email you that because,well, you just don't pass that kind of info along,(way too heavy).. but when I read about your friend's passing I was all omg...I wonder...I hope you're feeling better. (((hugs)))

Reluctant Memsahib said...

too sad. what a waste. too, too young. am so sorry x

Nao said...

This is a beautiful tribute Janelle~

Life is so very unpredictable.

Sending angels.

PeatMonster said...

CB & I drank scotch. I toasted a real smoky single malt into his general direction from by back porch in Birmingham, "sweet home" Alabama last night. Cheers Bishop and "get after it"! jkt

Bee said...

I read this with a lump in my throat. As a displaced Texan myself, I couldn't help but wonder how your Texan got to Tanzania.