Tuesday, June 28, 2011

excuses....

gosh.
i think it's time to change my profile picture, it's been that long...into a grey haired lady who prefers gin to tea.
my mother's words echo in my head "The more you do the more you can do..." well. the less blogging i do the less i can do.
you see, i'm trying not to slather you in all the Real Reasons why i haven't been here. but fuck it. there really isn't much else to say but:

1. i have been working like a dog at school. the school year is almost complete. i have been up to my eyeballs in reports and marking exams. reports. hideous. really mr wamvita, find robert a job at the post office licking stamps and save yourself some money. he is genuinely crap at english. of course i can't say that....no....so therefore, this is where much of my creative talent has been recently sunk. it doesn't leave much for lyrical words here.

2. i have been raisin' children. and ten chickens. and ridin' hosses... i kid you not. everyone has been sick with this snotty cold from school. the entire campus is heaving with it...except me. iron woman. i glare at people from a distance and mutter "come no closer" wide eyed and clasping my hand over my mouth. this has worked. our house sounds like the mosquito net factory of a night - spluttering and coughing,..which brings me to my Next Big Thing Point. TANESCO. it's because of TANESCO, she whispers covertly.

there is no power to the nation, people. none. (and the rains failed dismally so there is not much water around either. all the maize died. this is not good) this is being typed powered by my generator. TANESCO (Tanzanian Electrical Supply Company) sent out a message saying further drastic cuts were to be introduced. it is clear, from the sporadic nature of the power supply, that no one is sticking to the schedule sent out. it is also clear that this might be a problem with no end. TANESCO has not said for how long these cuts will persist. oh well. as long as there's fuel.....roland said "everything will be fine when the americans come. they will bring power." when will the americans join? those filthy foreigners. lovely, when you need them, eh?

ANYWAYEEEEE....

this ain't hyde park corner, no sirree....this is a blog. this is place where i Must Not Diarize.

kitchen board is not possible. it has run itself into the ground and safari craig has gone on safari with tous les cameras...everything will be down to memory now. a risky business....
so, bestests, i am still rattlin' 'round in the cupboard along with all my skeletons..
toodely ole toot y'all..bisous X.X.X. dark ones, on yer lips...hang it. x j.




17 comments:

Barbara said...

What does that mean, "when the Americans come"? Is Arusha expecting an influx? Or a new company or project or something? Or is it just an American joke? Because we do love our electricity (and running water, too, actually!)

Angela said...

Germany is knee-deep into solar energy (and wind, do you have windy weather there?) while Germany doesn`t even HAVE that much sun, except in summer, why don`t you suggest installing solar panels on all your roofs and be autark this way? The only time we once lived without electricity was during our holidays in a Swedish cabin right by a lake, but there was water and sun and an earth cellar for the butter, so for two weeks it was fine. But all the TIME??!

Robyn said...

ah- the end of 'term-itis'...as always...but the holidays are coming. Your horse is just beautiful!

Karen said...

I'm an English teacher, too, and the end of the year is brutal no matter where you teach, so I can sympathize. Sometimes I think whomever thought up the position of English teacher was especially cruel: you take a person who loves language almost as much as life itself, and you force that person to read substandard writing all the time. It's torture, really. I think perhaps the UN ought to get involved. Or something.

Love and strength to you, and don't let anyone breathe on you, and whenever my fellow Americans arrive, I hope they bring loads and loads of electricity, and I hope it's soon.

Janelle said...

barbara....it means that apparently the americans are going to solve tanzania's electricity supply...since clinton's visit, apparently. the government is usually very anti foreigners...you need a permit to breath tanzanzian air, basically....but then they are quick to call on foreigners to fix their plumbing problems when there is no money left...to solve their ineptitude, basically...that's what i was trying to say...nothing anti american from me! x

and thanks for swinging by geli, robyn and karen! lovely to know that there are other english teachers out there who feel the same! heh! xxx j

Lori ann said...

well goodness gracious those are excellent good reasons. i think what you are doing right now is the hardest time in a womans life, raising your kids, sometimes on your own (in the dark), working outside the home, whew.

hang in there dear lovely janelle and stay well.
xxx lori

p.s. our avatars are coming up on 3 years old, maybe i oughta change mine too?

Mud said...

The holidays will bring gin, and less children (other people's at least) and a little space to breathe?

Maybe it will also bring the Americans and their superflous power?

xx

Miranda said...

What? Were are my comments from last night (yes thats plural!) Oh pants, I probably commented on someone else's by mistake! Ha!

We'll be having a moerse braai up on the hill soon for all our defrosted meat I reckon. xx

Dumdad said...

I wondered where you'd got to. I guess life does take priority over blogging, doesn't it?

PS I'm reading Out of Africa for the first time (I bought the book for my wife back in 1985!) and I'm really enjoying it. I've seen the film, of course, but this is completely different.

Bill said...

I dunno, sounds like time for a beer or gin & tonic.

As for technology ... the way things are going, sunshine, starlight and moon beams might be all there is.

Barbara said...

OK, I was just hoping sort of that more Americans were coming to Arusha so I could find more friends to hang around with when I'm back there in the fall! I figured it was probably just a joke though...Michelle obama was just in South Africa, but if she didn't visit Tanzania then I guess we're not fixing the electricity!

Reya Mellicker said...

I bet you're singing in perfect harmony with your skeletons. I love the pics but they aren't necessary. You paint with words, you make music with words.

Sorry about the rains, about the power grid. I take it all for granted - so stupid.

Love toyou.

JoeinVegas said...

I don't think we are scheduled to invade any of south Africa in the near future. So don't look to us. (well, didn't do much for power in Iraq or Afghanistan anyway)

Janelle said...

joe in vegas...catch up...apparently america has promised power to the nation here in tanzania...we are holding our breath in anticipation....hoping like hell its true...x

Mama Shujaa said...

Pole na kazi, and all your updates are tasty bites, regardless. The drought, the power problems...Who will be first, the filthy Chinese or the filthy Americans...hmmm I wonder?

family affairs said...

OH.

Still. Zanzibar beckons I bet.

Lxxx

Mike in Yellowstone said...

Oh shuckey darn, I'm afraid we Americans will be late for the light show in downtown Arusha or up on the hill either. Last time I was there it seemed like the Chinese were promising undying allegiance and resources while gobbling up every thing on the planet that might even remotely suit their purpose for the next say 200 years? Sorry, Janelle but the old Eagle is broke and the money is, shall we say, over valued. Maybe we could trade you the wind power out of Washington D.C. for some Massai jewelry......even throw in Barack and Michelle.
Cheers,
Mike