Saturday, August 25, 2012

Armstrong...

Neil Armstrong.
                                                                                                     
i've got into a habit of sleeping with the beeb on...i prop up my iPad and listen to the news and sometimes podcasts and generally fall asleep.then i wonder why i dream of wars and bombs. this woke me up last night, the passing of neil armstrong. i'm a lunatic, you see. the moon rules me. i marvel at the fact that he actually walked on it. what a moment. i don't need to bang on about it, though. obviously. we all know what a giant leap it was.
i liked his family's tribute: 
"For those who may ask what they can do to honour Neil, we have a simple request. Honour his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

and i love this excerpt from That's The Way Life Is, a blog i found this morning by mistake. 

Tamed




“You were once wild here. Don’t let them tame you.”
~ Isadora Duncan


I had almost forgotten it - the feeling that only astronauts and children know. That feeling of pure uninhibited flight, of wings disguised as arms, toes pointed heavenward touching the cerulean sky; spinning in orbit, seeing the world for the very first time; being pulled back to earth only to take flight again. I had almost forgotten it.

Time has a way of taming us. Our eyes become familiar with life’s terrain and we become immune to so much beauty, to potential, to fallen dreams that need mended wings to fly. We work around what we are lacking for fear of the pain caused by mending what is broken – or simply for lack of knowing how to fix it. And eventually what we once knew is all but forgotten, a hole in our hearts, a feeling we can’t really distinguish anymore. We have become tamed.

I had almost forgotten it – the thirst for life that I once knew. The feeling that I belonged, that I had a purpose, that life had something planned for me, and the passion for the possible that once stirred deep within. I had almost forgotten it. I was almost tamed.

let's not be tamed too much, then. 
and dream of impossible things being possible. 
neil armstrong did.
"The dream remains! The reality has faded a bit, but it will come back, in time”Neil Armstrong

toodely toot, y'all and bisous X.X.X. dreamy, golden ones all about ya x j

3 comments:

Amanda said...

i love the thread of your last two posts, a proclamation to think of dangerous things and of using one's wings...

just finished the steve jobs biography - he embraced all the above and kept the same dream armstrong had alive.

thanks for this janelle - from a fellow moonchild, raising my glass to the next phase of life in which i vow not to be tamed.

Janelle said...

ah thanks amanda! nice to hear from you.! love x j

Aria Zoesch said...

Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!