Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Freedom...

“Nothing in the world is permanent, and we’re foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we’re still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it.”
W. Somerset Maugham



Sometimes it’s good to simply get out. Look up. The simple action of looking up takes you out of the spaghetti bowl of worries in your head into the sky and birds and sunlight in leaves. Step out of the ordinary. Which is precisely what we did yesterday at school. We stepped out of the class and into the bus. How glorious it was trundling along the back roads, the sky wide, wild flowers tangling up the hillsides, the wind in my hair and simply watching the beautiful world slip by...We were heading out to a farm on the edge of the world to learn about animals and how to take gentle and good care of them. The rest of the school are: Climbing Kilimanjaro (I heard this morning most of my Year 10 class have summitted. I could cry I am so proud and happy for them); climbing Mt Meru (should summit this afternoon); Zanzibar (learning about history and cultures); Kenya (an adventure center, white water rafting and scaling cliffs). What a brilliant school I work at. Braeburn International School Arusha. Learning isn't about hours and hours of classroom time. It's out there - in a sensory vibrant world. 

Yesterday I felt free for a moment. A true sense of freedom is something I can never quite recapture again from when I was young – the exhilarating sense of being alive, flying with wild wings, fearlessly, with no tomorrows. Somehow, the years, the experiences, the ‘wisdoms’ of adulthood, weigh you down ever so slightly. Perhaps it’s the succinct awareness of death - ever present, ever lurking, ever on the periphery, between each hello and goodbye. The certainty of brevity. I wish to be free of it yet I spent my youth searching for what outlines our existence. The irony is one deletes the other.

Now the work is to celebrate precisely that; to celebrate impermanence and truly realise that Life is a dream, an illusion, the physical body, a cloak. Each moment is to be truly lived, truly experienced, truly loved - even the bad ones. They're growth points. Speak your truth fearlessly and laugh. And smile. As much as you can.

I'm giving it a twirl. . .

3 comments:

donna baker said...

All sounds good there Janelle. Every time I see a post from you, I am glad to read it. Didn't know you were teaching. The picture is gorgeous. Hope you are getting everything you wanted and more.

Amanda Summer said...

Your last paragraph is written like a prayer. Yea to all, illusion, impermanence, growth and fearlessness….

Mark said...

In my pursuit of freedom I made it to southern Egypt last year, not quite TZ, the intent was there however, the stars would not have it. Good to hear from you again. m